< BACK TO EBOOK HELP MENU
DOWNLOADING AN EBOOK
Once you’ve bought an ebook, you’ll be sent an email with a download link and instructions.
Important note: Unless you are using an iOS device, you can’t download an ebook directly to your device. You will first need to download the ebook to Adobe Digital Editions on your computer before you can transfer it to a device.
If you are using an iOS device such as an iPhone or iPad, you can download directly from our site to your device using the Adobe Digital Editions app.
A complete list of devices and mobile phone applications compatible with Adobe can be found here.
BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD
Please make sure you’ve completed the following steps before you download your ebook:
- If you want to read on a PC or Mac, ensure you’ve downloaded Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
- If you want to read on a non-iOS device (e.g. Android, Kobo, Sony Reader), ensure you’ve downloaded Adobe Digital Editions on your computer AND the free Bluefire Reader app on your device.
- If you want to read on an iOS device (e.g. iPhone, iPad), ensure you’ve download the Adobe Digital Editions iOS app and a free unzipping app such as WinZip on your device.
Authorise Adobe Digital Editions
Make sure to authorise Adobe Digital Editions with an Adobe ID.
To authorise Adobe Digital Editions on your computer:
- Open Adobe Digital Editions.
- Go to Help > Authorize Computer.
- Follow the prompts to create an Adobe ID and activate. From the list of vendors, choose Adobe ID.
To authorise Adobe Digital Editions on your iOS device, go to Settings from the menu within the app and follow the prompts.
If you’re using the BlueFire Reader app, register the app with the same Adobe ID you used for Adobe Digital Editions on your computer. If you don’t register it with the same Adobe ID, you will not be able to transfer your ebook from your computer to your device.
DOWNLOAD YOUR EBOOK TO ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS ON PC/MAC
- Click on the download link in your purchase confirmation email, or go to My Account and navigate to your order to download it there.
- If the ebook is DRM-protected, a file called URL Link.acsm will be downloaded. If the file is DRM-free, a zip file containing the EPUB will be downloaded.
- If you are prompted to save the file, save it to your local system. Otherwise you will be able to find the file in your Downloads folder.
- To open the URLLink.acsm file, browse to the location where you saved it or find it in the Downloads folder. Double-click the file. The ebook will open in Adobe Digital Editions.
- Alternatively, to open an EPUB.zip file, right-click to unzip, then double-click to open the file in Adobe Digital Editions.
DOWNLOAD YOUR EBOOK TO AN IOS DEVICE
First ensure you have downloaded the Adobe Digital Editions app from the app store, and/or a free unzipping app such as WinZip.
For a DRM-protected file (URLLink.acsm):
- Tap on the download link.
- A URLLink.acsm file will be displayed. Choose Download.
- Once downloaded, choose Open With and choose Open in Adobe Digital Editions.
- You will be taken to your library. If your ADE app is not yet authorised, you will be prompted to activate/authorise it by entering your Adobe ID. If you already have an Adobe ID linked to ADE on another device or computer, enter the same details here. Otherwise, choose Create an Adobe ID and follow the prompts.
- Once authorised, the book will immediately begin to download and will be available to read in your ADE library.
For a DRM-free (i.e. .zip file):
- Go to My Bookshelf.
- Tap on the book you want to download.
- A zip file will be displayed. Choose Download.
- Once downloaded, choose Open With and choose Open in WinZip (or whatever unzipping app you use).
- The WinZip app will open. From My Files, choose the EPUB you have just unzipped.
- You may see a message: ‘Open file failed. Try to open it with other Apps.’ From the download icon at top right, choose Open With, and then choose your preferred reader app, e.g. iBooks.
- Your EPUB will open in the app you choose.